Armor Class 15 (Ethereal Nature)
Hit Points 67 (9d8 + 27)
Speed 0ft., fly 45 ft.
Saving Throws DEX +6, WIS +7
Damage Immunities Bludgeoning, Piercing, Poison, Slashing
Condition Immunities Charmed, Exhaustion, Frightened, Grappled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned, Prone, Restrained
Senses Darkvision 120 ft., Passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Deep Speech, Undercommon
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)
Unrestrained Movement Vaxrithar Unshackled has the beholder’s innate ability to float, which it retains even when possessing a corporeal entity. It cannot be knocked prone.
Unreal Nature While not possessing an entity, Vaxrithar Unshackled is immune to all melée and ranged weapon attacks, whether magical or not, and is resistant to all forms of elemental magical damage. It cannot be grappled, restrained or paralyzed in its natural form.
Waking Dream As a bonus action, Vaxrithar Unshackled disappears from the Material Plane into the mind of Vaxrithar. It can reappear on the Material Plane as a bonus action. This action is only available while Vaxrithar lives. If Vaxrithar dies while Vaxrithar Unshackled is in it mind, Vaxrithar Unshackled is destroyed.
Possession One creature that Vaxrithar Unshackled can see within 5 feet of it must succeed on a DC 15 Charisma saving throw or be possessed by the entity; the entity then disappears, and the target is incapacitated and loses control of its body. The entity’s six eye stalks, now flesh, burst from the target’s head, and an enlarged red eye opens in the target’s forehead. Vaxrithar Unshackled now controls the body but doesn’t deprive the target of awareness. The creature can’t be targeted by any attack, spell, or other effect, and it retains its alignment, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, and immunity to being charmed and frightened. It otherwise uses the possessed target’s statistics, but doesn’t gain access to the target’s knowledge or class features.
The possession lasts until the body drops to 0 hit points, Vaxrithar Unshackled ends it as a bonus action, or it is forced out by an effect like the dispel evil and good spell. When the possession ends, Vaxrithar Unshackled reappears in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the body. The target is immune to this entity’s Possession for 24 hours after the possession ends.
Eye Rays Vaxrithar Unshackled shoots two of the following magical eye rays at random (reroll duplicates), choosing one to two targets it can see within 120 ft. of it:
- Sap Ray. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or its maximum HP is reduced by half and it suffers one point of exhaustion. The effect lasts until the end of the target’s next long rest.
- Fire Ray. The targeted creature makes a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 36 (8d8) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.
- Telekinetic Ray. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or Vaxrithar Unshackled moves it up to 30 ft. in any direction. It is restrained by the ray’s telekinetic grip until the start of the Vaxrithar Unshackled’s next turn or until Vaxrithar Unshackled is incapacitated.
- Sleep Ray. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or fall asleep and remain unconscious for 1 minute. The target awakens if it takes damage or another creature takes an action to wake it. This ray has no effect on constructs and undead.
- Enervation Ray. The targeted creature must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 36 (8d8) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Paralyzing Ray. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Possessed Attack While possessing a creature, Vaxrithar Unshackled directs the possessed entity to make a melée or ranged attack. This is in addition to any Eye Ray attacks.
Vaxrithar Unshackled can take 1 Legendary Action per round:
Dreamer’s Dream (Costs 1 Action) Vaxrithar Unshackled summons 1d6 Gazers.
Quickness (Costs 1 Action) Vaxrithar Unshackled can take any of the following actions: Waking Dream, Possession, Eye Rays.